To ease the stress of moving a checklist can really be a great
help. A moving interstate checklist that you create yourself will
allow you to ensure that everything you need to do will get done
and nothing will get forgotten in the hustle and bustle that will
be created as you begin your interstate move.
Taking the time to carefully tailor make your own moving
interstate checklist is important. It is not a difficult task and
if you methodically go through the steps that we have laid out for
you, you will be sure not to miss a thing.
Moving interstate is a big deal in any family's life and can be
a very stressful activity. The first thing you will need to do is
to find the right removalist for your needs.
Take the time to research the removalists carefully ensuring
that you get the best value for your money without skimping on
quality and care. Insurance is also a very good idea with any
Below is a good example of a moving interstate checklist. It's a
great place to start when tailor making one that suits your
families every need.
One month before moving interstate
- Get thorough quotes from interstate moving companies and
choose which one is right for you.
- Start organising your utilities. Alert your current
utility providers that you will be disconnecting your services at
your current address and that you plan to reconnect at a separate
- Pack any items that you don't use often, including family
storage items, garage items and garden supplies.
- Settle all outstanding bills.
- Create a complete list of items you wish to move. Start
to separate your items into categories "move," "give-away / sell"
- Research your new area: ie. Where is the local
supermarket, hospital, and petrol station? Contact the new schools
that your children will be attending and ensure everything is in
- Order and purchase packing supplies including boxes,
specialised boxes (mirror boxes, wardrobe boxes, packing tape and
- Create a thorough list of essentials that will be
travelling with your family and not with the movers.
Two weeks before moving interstate
- Pack up more rooms in the house including lounge room,
living areas and non-essential childrens toys.
- Wash and pack extra linens and towels that are not
- Return videos, DVDs, and library books.
- Ensure all important documents including passports, birth
certificates, licenses and certificates are all together in a safe
- Pick up your family's dental and medical records and pack
them away safely.
- Back up your computer hard drive and pack away your
printer and scanner carefully.
- Hold a garage sale if necessary
One week before moving interstate
- Notify all important organisations and memberships of new
- Organise a mail redirection service through Australia
- Disassemble all furniture and safely store the screws,
wheels and bolts wrapped carefully and attached to the furniture in
an obvious place.
- Service your car before its transport
- Check and recheck your own travel plans and the date for
moving into your new address, organise alternative accommodation in
your new location if necessary for a few days.
- Clean and defrost refrigerator.
- Final packing of all other items.
- Pack your personal luggage last and make sure all of your
essentials are included.
- Organise carpet/curtain cleaning if necessary in both the
old and new properties.
- Keep full inventory record of what the movers take with
them, including all valuables that are taken and the condition in
which they leave the house, before the move.
- Do a final thorough check of the house to ensure you
haven't left anything behind.
By tailor making your own moving interstate checklist you are
giving yourself the best chance at a smooth, problem free move
interstate, ensuring that nothing gets forgotten or overlooked in
the busy lead up to moving day.